Pages

Wednesday, April 4, 2012

The Stalking of...

...the bridal registry.

Don't look at me like that. You know you do it too.

Image via Funny Wedding Ideas

If you haven't guessed, my bridal shower invites went out this week. At some point, about 5 seconds after I realized they must have landed in mailboxes across the state, I began to registry stalk. This was fueled by the fact that a few gifts had been purchased after we sent out our save-the-dates. And my registry-lovin' fire was further ignited when a couple of gifts were purchased earlier this week...on the exact day I anticipated the invites had landed.

This has kicked my registry obsession into high gear. Sorry I'm not sorry about it.

The thing is, I really couldn't care less about receiving gifts. I'm the type of person who gets more of a thrill from giving someone a gift that I think they'll totally love rather than anticipating my own. Crazy, I know. There is just something about walking into a store, picking out several items, and then having people buy them for you. Isn't that such a crazy concept? What's even crazier is that it's totally socially acceptable.

I told the tale of our registration before. While we were excited to be drinking mimosas registering, something about it felt, well, off. Here I am, in all my bridal glory, with the audacity to register for a $499.00 mixer? Or a $299.99 dual-zone wine cooler?!?! How dare I!

The thing is, the only think that talked me down from my arrogant guilt was the fact that I've done this same.exact.thing. for so many of my friends. And that makes it totally okay, right? Well, it does, because there is even a Sex & The City episode about it. So there ya go. But seriously, I've come to realize that it's totally normal to feel guilt over your registry, and even more-so over your enjoyment of things being purchased in your honor. I've also learned that it's okay to feel this way.

I think part of it is the overall discomfort with being the center of attention for such a prolonged period of time. After all, the wedding is just a day, but the wedding planning, which can be just as exciting as the day itself, lasts a whole lot longer. So, for now, I think I'm going to try and lay off the registry...maybe cut down to one or two views a day in the hope of bringing myself back to Earth. Well, maybe.

Did you have any guilt when you registered? Have you been registry stalking?

4 comments:

  1. Our shower invites went out last week, but I've read to registry stalk! But I don't think at this point anyone has bought anything, so the temptation isn't really there. I do know that I need to check one of my registries, because I'm pretty sure I registered for a lamp, without the lampshade... so I obviously have to check.

    And as an fyi... I'm Miss Ariel off weddingbee. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha that sounds like something I would do!

    Hi! I really really really hope we get picked...

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true! I found your blog on wedding bee and love it, thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks!!! I really love to hear that!

    ReplyDelete