Pages

Tuesday, January 31, 2012

All In the Family...

When we first got engaged, we were super excited (duh!), but quickly, the reality of financing a wedding had our heads spinning. Who would pay?

My fiance was able to contribute a little each month, along with tackling our credit card debt, but he was feeling slightly broke from paying for the ring. I was in nursing school for one last semester, but the nursing market here is uncertain at best for new grads, and a job was no guarantee...what's a girl to do?

After a few months my mother offered to finance a chunk of the wedding, about 1/3, in addition to paying for the bridal shower. My fiance's parents offered to host the rehearsal dinner initially, but then threw us a wonderful engagement party and are planning a welcome cocktail reception and brunch following the wedding.

But for the remaining 1/3+ of the costs...how did we work it out? Well, we got in over our heads and signed a contract on our venue. Luckily I got a job (even though I'm currently out of work with an injury) and we were able to make it work. Our photographer has done several friends weddings and we got him at a bargain basement price, along with our DJ, who is a professional, but doesn't regularly do weddings. 

We are still struggling to finance the wedding. As per my last post, my income has been slashed since I'm out of work, but we've changed the budget to accommodate that...

Has anyone else struggled to finance their wedding? How did you work it out?

No comments:

Post a Comment