Pages

Friday, January 6, 2012

Trials and Tribulations

This blog is not going to be one Negative Nellie post after another, I promise. I do, however, want to share my realistic experiences with the wedding planning process, which is sometimes different to do because I do feel that there is pressure to make this the most exciting time of your life.

It took us 4 months to decide on a venue. Ultimately, I think we picked the best one, but parents have opinions and somebody needs to pay for the wedding. Financing for the wedding was difficult as we didn't have the money (I was just about to graduate from nursing school and the job market in my area is beyond horrible). Finally, both sets of parents agreed to pay for the cost of the reception, minus open bar (I'm Irish so that's a pre-requisite!) That leaves us with the cost for open bar, and all other incidentals aside from food/venue/ceremony location.

This is where the complications began. How do you plan a wedding when you don't know if you will have a job? How do you budget for a wedding when you don't know if you'll have a job?

Well....the contract was signed, we got excited, and the vision of the "perfect" day began to be shaped in our minds....


Alas, I got a job! So now I had an official income to base our budget off of - for a while, things were looking good...

Has anyone else had trouble securing financing for the wedding? What did you do to pay?

No comments:

Post a Comment