Pages

Sunday, March 18, 2012

A Birthday Proposal

While planning future blog topics, I realized I've never told the story of our engagement. Not only did Mr. BB totally out-do himself, but he actually managed to surprise me, which is huge, because I'm a thinker  ridiculous over-analyzer. In any given situation I can create hundreds of scenarios to be prepared for, so a romantic birthday dinner at our favorite restaurant should have caused sirens to go off in my head. It didn't.

The day began with me accompanying a really good friend, E, to a bridal show in Boston. After leaving the overwhelming bridal show, I was pretty excited to not be engaged (as I've mentioned - bridal shows can be stressful!) Mr. BB had been working many, many weekends of overtime on a work project and this day, his 26th birthday, was the first weekend in months that he didn't have to work. We were planning to head to our favorite restaurant, The Oak Room, in the Fairmont Copley Plaza hotel for a nice dinner. All week Mr. BB had been saying he needed to run errands on Saturday so when Saturday came I wasn't surprised he had things to do. E joked that maybe he was preparing an elaborate proposal. I quickly said "yea, right" and didn't think about it again.

Image via The Fairmont Copley Plaza Hotel


The Oak Room - Image via TV trip
Dinner was lovely, and since it is our favorite restaurant, we were pretty excited to be there. While eating, we had a conversation about how we had never seen the rest of the hotel so I wasn't surprised when Mr. BB hopped into an elevator on our way out. I thought he was being clever and we would creep around the hotel to see more of its interior (it's very beautiful and historic!) As we were walking down a hallway, looking at the artwork on the walls, Mr. BB proceeded to pull a room key out of his pocket and open the door to a suite overlooking Copley Square. I immediately noticed two bottles of champagne on ice and a bag of my clothes in the corner of the room! We began to enjoy the champagne. I asked why he did this and he said he wanted to do something nice for the both of us. I felt bad because it was his birthday and I didn't even get him a gift (awful, I know!) After relaxing for a few minutes he proceeded to tell me that we had brunch planned for the next day at The Oak Room, and that he had scheduled me for a manicure, pedicure and massage at a local spa! I was suspicious that something was going on but we continued to relax and chat. After a few minutes, Mr. BB began getting antsy and walked away. I turned to look out the window to Copley Square, and when I turned back around, Mr. BB was on one knee and asked if I would marry him! I pretty much cried like a baby for the next ten minutes and Mr. BB kept repeating "um, say yes, can I just hear you say yes?" but all I could do was shake my head!

Hotel Interior - Image via The Fairmont Copley Plaza Hotel
Copley Square - Image via City Profile

From there I learned that Mr. BB had been to dinner with my parents a few nights before to ask for their permission. We called our parents and spent the rest of the night celebrating with friends!

How did your FI propose to you? Were to totally surprised or did you see it coming?

1 comment:

  1. what a sweet proposal! how thoughtful of him :)

    I have my proposal story on my blog, feel free to take a look.

    http://happilyeverafterblogspot.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete