Pages

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Guest List Anxiety

Today is the day that our wedding guest list is complete. My FMIL finally e-mailed us the last batch of addresses that we needed and now we can really get into the nitty-gritty of getting our STD's done. I had initially intended to get those out a couple of months ago, but alas, life took over.

From time-to-time I've gone over our guest list in my head. I tend to vacillate between an uncomfortable mix of sadness and anxiety that nobody will attend our wedding, and a shear panic that EVERYBODY will attend. The result of these conflicting emotions culminates in this photo:



At some stage of the wedding-planning game we had created a basic guest list and determined, based off of no scientific calculations whatsoever, that we would base our budget off of 150 people. We reasoned that this "sounded good." We currently are inviting 188 guest to our wedding and as standard wedding etiquette would dictate, if 20% of guests don't attend, we will wind up with 150.4 people. Great, right?

Well...maybe not so much. I found myself surprisingly uncomfortable with the notion that 150 people may show up and realized it was because I'm the worst bride EVER! I found myself actually wishing that fewer people would show up! You heard right, fewer people than what we are budgeting! What sort of bride wishes this kind of thing on her own wedding?!?

I guess I've just come to the realization that our wedding and our wallets will seem full with even 130 guests. I'm sort of happy that I had this epiphany. I think it will go a long way to curbing guest list anxiety...especially if RSVP's begin rolling in with the "regretfully decline" boxes checked!

Are you concerned about the number of people coming to your wedding? Are you (gasp!) hoping for even fewer people to show up so you can save some money?!







3 comments:

  1. This post sums up my feelings exactly! BUT then I get worried that because so many people are going to have to travel that nobody will come and that stresses me out, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely feel like the number of guests is a big gamble. If everyone shows up, we certainly will not have the space for them (plus the extra costs)! I think this is one of the hardest things for a detail-obsessed person (MYSELF) because it is something that is completely out of my control until it gets a lot closer to the wedding date.
    I have also found myself wishing that not everyone would attend and I haven't even started Save the Dates! I think once the RSVPs come back though, I will be excited to see who is all going to make the trip and it will be worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know! We are planning on sending out save-the-dates by March 1st...it is exciting...and now I've been inspired to write another blog post on a similar topic!

    ReplyDelete