Pages

Saturday, February 18, 2012

The Guest Mess

Mulling over my previous blog post brought me to my "Master Wedding" spreadsheet to review our guest list. We don't have a 'B' list like many people suggest, but rather, we pared down our list as much as we thought we could and left it at that. Until yesterday.

Upon viewing our guest list a second time, I realized that we had some friends on there that fall into a bit of a 'limbo' category. They aren't good friends of ours and they aren't acquaintances. Does that even make sense? And, to top it off, a group of these individuals that fall into the 'limbo' category for another reason are family members - a failed business has driven a rift between my father (and my immediate family) and his brother (and his immediate family.) Now are you seeing where this is going? No? You will soon...

One of these friends in the 'limbo' category is getting married a month after us, and my cousin (the son of the brother my father is currently on the outs with) is marrying his fiance in June. Yikes! Clearly, based on my last post, our budget has become a bit of an issue so we're hoping we have slightly fewer guests in attendance that what our budget will allow. Still don't see where I'm going with this? What if I said that due to the nature of these relationships I'm not even sure that we will be invited to either wedding?

Now, I wouldn't consider myself a tit-for-tat person. But, I am strongly considering putting the word out to family and friends to find out if we are, in fact, going to be invited to these weddings. I wouldn't be surprised either way, but I figure I should find this out now before I send out our save-the-dates. I don't want to be a Bridezilla, but FI and I discussed it, and we feel that if we aren't invited to their weddings, we can safely get away with not inviting them (and knocking 9 people off of our invite list!) without hurt feelings.

I'd also want to secure this information without making much of a fuss so it's not completely and utterly obvious that I'm going to base my guest list off of it.


Does this make me a mean girl? Or petty? Or do you think that what I'm doing is practical?

No comments:

Post a Comment